1 pound OPA’S Sausage, your choice, sliced (Country Blend, Beef, Jalapeño or Jalapeño Beef)
- 2/3 cup Corn oil
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 Green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups Celery, chopped
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ cup Fresh parsley
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 cups Tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 1-10oz Pkg sliced Frozen Okra
- 1 Opa's Smoked Chicken - Deboned and Skinned
- 1 cup Green onions
- 1 pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon Gumbo file powder
- Tabasco and salt to taste
- Garnish with finely chopped green onions
- In a heated skillet add the oil and flour; stir until browned to create a roux. Be careful not to burn.
- In a stockpot heat a small amount of oil and add the green pepper, onion and celery, sauté until tender, add the garlic and parsley cook for an additional minute. Add the roux, chicken stock, water , okra and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken and OPA’S Sausage and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Add the green onion, Shrimp,gumbo file, salt and Tabasco. Cook for 15 minutes. Do not overcook. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions. Serves 10 -12