Main Street in Fredericksburg once did something almost no American main street has ever done: for half a century, traffic parted around an eight-sided building standing in the middle of the road. That was the Vereins Kirche — the octagonal hall the founders raised in their second year, when one building had to be the church, the school, the meeting hall, and the fort all at once. The original came down in 1897; its replica stands today at the heart of Marktplatz, the park at the center of town, where you still can’t miss it, and where the town clearly wants it. Most places put their history in a museum. Fredericksburg keeps its history in the town square. Here’s the story it’s standing there to tell.
A Society and a Promise
It begins with a name locals still say without translating: the Adelsverein. The Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas, founded by German noblemen in 1842 to plant colonies on a vast land grant in the Texas interior. The promise drew thousands: land, liberty, a new start for educated, liberal Germans restless under the old order and working families hungry for ground of their own. The reality was harder than the brochure. The society was undersupplied and overcommitted, its land grant lay hundreds of miles inland in Comanche country, and the journey from the coast cost hundreds of lives before it ever cost a fence post. That the settlements survived at all is the first remarkable thing about them. New Braunfels rose as the base camp in 1845. The next spring, the push went deeper.
Down the Wagon Road
On April 23, 1846, a train of ox carts left New Braunfels behind a new commissioner-general who had done something almost unheard of for his class: Baron Otfried Hans von Meusebach had renounced his title on the way to Texas, arriving as plain John O. Meusebach. Just over two weeks later, on May 8, 1846, 120 settlers halted at a clear stream in a valley on the Pedernales, named the creek Barons Creek for the leader who’d given up being one, and named the town for Prince Frederick of Prussia. Each family drew a town lot and ten acres of farmland. Most of them came from the Rhine country, and in the limestone hills and spring-fed water they recognized, improbably, something like home.
A Peace That Held
The land they’d been promised, though, lay beyond — inside the Comancheria, the hunting grounds of the Penateka Comanche, and the grant’s terms required settlement to begin by 1847 or the whole enterprise was forfeit. What happened next is the chapter Fredericksburg is proudest of, and the one it retells every spring. Where others had made war on the Comanche, Meusebach rode out to talk — into the San Saba country in the winter of 1847, where the Penateka, taken with the red-bearded German, named him El Sol Colorado, the Red Sun. The terms they negotiated were unusual for their century: not removal but sharing — settlers welcome in the Comancheria, Comanche welcome in the towns, wrongs reported mutually, presents and provisions given in good faith. The treaty was signed at Fredericksburg on May 9, 1847, and it is remembered as one of the very few such agreements that was never broken. The town’s Easter Fires tradition keeps the memory: hilltop bonfires each spring, tied in local telling to the season the peace was made.
What the Treaty Built
With the peace came the building years. The Vereins Kirche went up in 1847 — the eight-sided everything-hall the settlers nicknamed the Kaffeemühle, the coffee mill, for its shape. Fort Martin Scott arrived in 1848 and brought commerce with it. A store opened, then another; a hotel followed; a doctor, a postmaster, a newspaper in German. And on every ten-acre lot, the settlers built the food economy they’d carried from the Rhine: gardens, orchards, and smokehouses, because a German farm family preserved its meat the way it preserved everything else, with salt, smoke, craft, and patience. The Sunday Houses came later — the little in-town cottages farm families kept for market Saturdays and church Sundays, and the meat markets and butcher shops that grew from those farm smokehouses became fixtures of Main Street life. The town that the Adelsverein promised and the treaty protected was, by its bones, a town that knew how to smoke meat.
Following the Thread to the Counter
Which brings the story, a century in, to a wedding present. In 1947, a merchant and rancher from Comfort (one town down the Guadalupe) gave a small Fredericksburg meat market to his daughter and her new husband as a wedding gift. The young couple made their living the way the town’s food tradition prescribed: a small processing plant, and cold-storage lockers rented to neighbors in the years before home freezers, when the community meat locker was how a Hill Country family kept its beef. In time, the family turned the business toward the craft underneath it all, developing smoked sausage recipes in the German style — coarse-ground and true to the tradition, beginning with two: a pork-and-beef Country Blend, and an all-beef link. And they gave the company the name it carries now, in honor of the grandfather whose gift had started it all — Opa’s. Today the third generation runs it from the same block of Washington Street, two blocks off the Main Street that parts around the Vereins Kirche. The lederhosen-wearing Opa on the sign holds a string of sausage and a quiet tribute inside it — to the family’s own grandfather, and to German grandfathers everywhere. In a town built by the Adelsverein’s farmers and their smokehouses, it’s one family’s thread in a much older weave, which is exactly how the family likes to tell it.
Where to Touch the History
The story is unusually easy to stand inside. The Pioneer Museum on Main Street keeps the settlers’ houses, tools, and a Sunday House on its grounds; the Vereins Kirche itself holds exhibits inside the replica; the Gillespie County Historical Society is the keeper of the archives for anyone who wants to go deeper; and Fort Martin Scott, on the edge of town, preserves the frontier post that anchored the early economy. Every May 8th, the town remembers its founding; every spring, the Easter Fires burn. And any day of the week, the German food tradition is available for tasting, which was always the most persuasive part of the story anyway.
The Hall at the Center of Town
That’s what the octagon in the town square is holding: a society’s gamble, a wagon road, a handshake that held, and a town that built its life around gardens, orchards, and smoke. Nearly two centuries on, the founders’ hall still commands the middle of town, the treaty is still unbroken, and the smokehouse tradition still runs six days a week a couple of blocks south. Some towns preserve their history. Fredericksburg just kept doing it.
Small batch. Craft made. German tradition — since 1947.
Taste the tradition the settlers carried: the Opa’s Deli & Market, 410 S Washington St (two blocks off Main) Monday–Friday 8 AM–5:30 PM, Saturday 8 AM–4 PM · 830-997-3358, and the full lineup ships nationwide from opassmokedmeats.com. The sausage side of this story has its own telling: What Is a Texas-German Sausage, Really?
Frequently Asked Questions
Who founded Fredericksburg, Texas?
John O. Meusebach (born a baron, arrived a common man by choice) led 120 German settlers from New Braunfels to the Pedernales valley on May 8, 1846, under the Adelsverein, the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas. The town was named for Prince Frederick of Prussia.
What was the Meusebach–Comanche Treaty?
The 1847 peace between the German settlers and the Penateka Comanche — negotiated on the San Saba that winter and signed at Fredericksburg on May 9, 1847. Its terms shared the land rather than seizing it, and it’s remembered as one of the very few such treaties never broken.
What is the Vereins Kirche?
The founders’ eight-sided hall of 1847 — church, school, meeting house, and refuge in one building, nicknamed the Kaffeemühle for its coffee-mill shape. The original stood in the middle of Main Street for fifty years, until 1897; the replica has anchored Marktplatz, the park at the town’s center, since the 1930s.
How does Opa’s fit into Fredericksburg’s history?
As one thread of the town’s oldest tradition. The business began in 1947 as a meat market and community locker plant — a wedding gift to a young Fredericksburg couple, and later took the name Opa’s in honor of the grandfather whose gift began it, as the family turned to German-style smoked sausage. The third generation runs it today from the same block of Washington Street.
Where can I learn more of the history in person?
The Pioneer Museum and the Vereins Kirche exhibits on Main Street, Fort Martin Scott on the edge of town, and the Gillespie County Historical Society’s archives for the deep end.